This is one of the best apple cakes ever, and it looks so beautiful!
If you like baked apples and cakes, you will surely love this wonderful dessert.
It's best to use small apples that are of a more tart variety for this. The flavor of the baked apples in combination with the drier texture of the cake is great!
The apples taste great when stuffed with a combination of marzipan, raisins and rum, but if you want to make this cake for the kids, substitute the rum with water and other flavorings (like vanilla or cinnamon).
Weight Watchers Baked Apple Cake recipe
Makes 3 pieces
3 small apples (up to 2.5 inches in diameter)
3/4 ounce raisins
1 3/4 ounces marzipan
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup almonds (blanched, grounded)
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cinnamon
caster sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat oven to 355 degrees F (180 C). Grease the baking form.
2. Mix together Marzipan, raisins and rum. Core apples and remove seeds. Stuff apples with marzipan raisins mixture. Third the cinnamon stick lengthwise. Stick the cinnamon sticks into the apples.
3. Mix butter, caster sugar, cinnamon and salt until creamy. Add egg and mix well. Add almonds and mix well.
4. Mix flour and baking powder and add gradually to the butter mixture and mix. Fill dough into baking form. Place apples onto the dough.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes until the cake is golden and done (the cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
6. Let cool for 5 minutes in the form, then take the cake out of the form, dust with caster sugar.
7. Serve it warm or completely cooled.
Note: The amount of ingredients is for a 3.5 x 9.5 inches cake form. If you use a bigger or smaller baking form, adapt the amount of ingredients to suit your needs.
(The dough should only cover the bottom of the baking form. It will rise during baking, but should not reach more than half of the height of the apples. If you use a pound cake form, it is a bit tricky to get the cake out of the form. Stuff some paper towels loosely around the apples, then turn the form carefully. The paper towels will prevent the cake from breaking apart.)